Glass is everywhere, all around us as a material and yet because we’re so accustomed to it, we don’t always really see it. For me, glass is a substance that best captures, holds and describes color and light. It generates a sense of mystery, anticipation and awe and it’s held my attention for as long as I can remember.
I am interested in the physical and conceptual possibilities of space and this exhibition explores three interrelated themes: organic bodily space, architectural voids (physical space) and imagined or transcendent space. In each of these works an internal void appears to collect and transmit light – a negative space becomes an illuminated positive.
Color and its ability to shape our experiences and perceptions is also a key driver for the work. The subtle color palette gives each piece a vibrancy or life that it wouldn’t have if it were clear glass.
Optical properties of translucency and transparency within glass allow me to create perceptual dualities. The organic, corporeal gestures in some of the pieces in this exhibition are a reminder of our desire to see within and know the internal workings of our bodies, or of other systems.
- Achilles Foundation, Berlin, Germany
- Artbank, Sydney, NSW. Australia
- Australia Capital Territory Collection, Canberra, ACT. Australia
- Australian National Glass Collection, Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia (two collected works).
- Australian National University Collection, Canberra, ACT. Australia
- Bullseye Glass Company Collection, Portland, OR, U.S.A.
- China Academy of Art, Hangzhou, China
- Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati, OH, U.S.A
- Corning Museum of Glass, Corning, NY, U.S.A
- Embassy of Australia, Washington DC, U.S.A.
- Ernsting Foundation, Berlin, Germany
- Hotel Murano, Tacoma, WA, U.S.A.
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, ACT. Australia (three collected works).
- National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Portland Art Museum, Portland OR, USA
- Portland State University, Portland OR, USA
- Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, NSW. Australia
- Queensland Contemporary Art Gallery, Brisbane, QLD. Australia
- Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo USA.
- Victorian State Collection, Melbourne, VIC. Australia