Northwest Ohio Glass Interest Newsletter, Issue 304
May 21, 2020
Northwest Ohio Glass Interest Newsletter, Issue 304 Bowling Green, Ohio 5/21/2020–Welcome to the 304th edition of the Northwest Ohio Glass Interest Newsletter.
Please add [email protected] to your safe sender whitelist. And send us your news and ideas to help us continue support of this community of glass art lovers. Lee & Milt Hakel, Editors, [email protected]
- Habatat Direct 2020
- Arts Commission Accelerator Grants – Urgent!
- Arts Commission Momentum/Intersection Project
- An Invitational Glass Show in Santa Fe – New!
- Ball State University MFA & BFA Spring Exhibitions
- Bender Gallery Offers Discounts
- Sandra Ainsley Gallery Offers Tour – New!
- Joanna Manousis at River House Arts
- Galleries Reach Out With Virtual Tours and Catalogs
- Glass Academy Doing Teaching on Facebook
- Firenation Glass Studio and Gallery Reopens
- Glass Axis to Reopen
- Bergstsrom Mahler Museum of Glass Cancels Annual Festival – New!
- Okay Spark Norfolk Pop Up Gallery
- FOCI Reopening Plan – Updated
- Lisabeth Sterling Teaching at Glass Axis
Habatat Direct 2020
- May 8 was the the launch date for Habatat’s new client focused online exhibition
- Watch an exhibition preview at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsdX86rpnw
- Contact Aaron Schey @ Habatat to discuss any artists, work, commissions and potential space you may have a desire to fill.
Arts Commission Accelerator Grants – Urgent!
- The Arts Commission values the many artists across disciplines who are part of Toledo’s vibrant creative community. The Accelerator Grant is a competitive program offering financial support with a quick turn-around for local artists to advance their creative projects and their careers. Eligible categories of support for this program include: equipment, supplies, professional development and project support. Grant amounts are not to exceed $1500. Upcoming deadlines for 2020 are June 15 and September 14.
Arts Commission Momentum/Intersection Project
- Toledo Arts Commission has requested glass-creation proposals for its collaboration with Pilkington Glass North America
- Create art inspired by the Pilkington’s float glass materials.
- A jury will select 6 artists to tour the Rossford facility during this year’s Momentum festival (Sept. 17-19), taking home glass materials for producing their art in 3 months
- Deadline for proposals is June 16.
- More information at org
An Invitational Glass Show in Santa Fe – New!
- Presented by Blue Rain Gallery
- June 12 – July 4, 2020
- Artists’ Reception Friday, June 12, 2020 5 – 7 pm
- Curated by Shelley Muzylowski Allen
- Participating artists include April Surgent, Christina Bothwell, Cappy Thompson, Dean Allison, Marc Petrovic, Kari Russell Pool, Kathleen Elliot, Sabrina Knowles and Jenny Pohlman, Karen Willenbrink and Jasen Johnsen, Susan Taylor Glasgow, Sibylle Peretti, Stephen Paul Day, Jennifer Caldwell and Jason Chakravarty, Suzanne Head, Tina Aufiero, Mark Zirpel, Carmen Lozar, Martin Blank, and Dan Clayman
- On Thursday, June 11, from 5 – 7 pm, there will be a panel of participating artists featuring those able to be in Santa Fe, plus other participants who will join virtually.
- In addition, on Friday and Saturday, from 10 am – 4 pm, there will be glass blowing and flame working demonstrations.
Ball State University MFA & BFA Spring Exhibitions
- Browse the BFA Gallery and the MFA Gallery, or
- See Glass by Molly Carpenter, Aly Didier, and Summer Moore
Bender Gallery Offers Discounts
- Bender Gallery is offering discounts starting at 20% through the month of May on most everything in the gallery. “Remember, when you purchase art, you are directly supporting the artist that created it and are also contributing to the system that provides the framework that supports them.”
- Crista Matteson – “KINSHIP” on offer
Sandra Ainsley Gallery Offers Tour – New!
- Virtual Studio Tour and Artist Talk with Dante Marioni
- Saturday May 23, 2020 1 pm EDT
- RSVP to [email protected]
Joanna Manousis at River House Arts
- Gallery installation + online exhibition
- Joanna Manousis has just completed and installed one of the most complex works of her career. Morpho Eugenia spans 16 feet and comprises 178 individual units of wall-mounted glass.
- Online at com and in person (by appointment only).
- Running concurrently with the display of Morpho Eugenia is an online exhibition featuring eight additional works created by Manousis called The Golden Thread. The show is presented by River House Arts on Artsy.net
- Please go to com for more information and links to Artsy.
- [email protected]
Glass Academy Doing Teaching on Facebook
- We’re doing live feeds on our FB page as our family of 4 navigates thru the pandemic. It’s hilarious! If you like glassblowing you might just enjoy this show! Educational and fun, realistic and up close. Watch glassblowing like you have never seen before!
Galleries Reach Out With Virtual Tours and Catalogs – Updated!
- The following galleries have alerted us to their virtual tours and catalogs
- Schantz Galleries: Studio Focus|Richard Jolley and Tommie Rush schantzgalleries.com/notes-from-the-directors/2020/3/21/studio-focus-richard-royal
- Habatat Galleries habatat.com/artists/
Firenation Glass Studio and Gallery Reopens
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, from 11 am to 5 pm.
- Social distancing practices will be in place, including masks.
- See com for more information
Glass Axis to Reopen
- As a result of receiving funding, “We are able to bring all staff back on payroll, effective immediately and get some of the important projects done that we were hoping to during the closure. As of now, we are still planning to reopen to the public and to our members on June 2.”
Bergstrom Mahler Museum of Glass Art Cancels Annual Festival New!
- Was scheduled for July 19, 2020, now cancelled
- [email protected]
Okay Spark Norfolk Pop Up Gallery
- 230 West Olney Road, Norfolk, VA 23510
- Gallery open by appointment with Rigid Social Distancing. Visits also available through Zoom, FaceTime, etc. Contact Matthew Fine: 757-407-1368
FOCI Reopening Plans
- Reopening began May 20, 2020: Slowly and safely
Lisabeth Sterling Teaching at Glass Axis
- June 15 – 19, 2020
- Cameo, intaglio and other sculpture techniques
- To register with a payment plan: [email protected]
If You Received a Forwarded Copy and Want to Subscribe, or Unsubscribe
- Send a message to [email protected]
- We fully comply with GDPR