Northwest Ohio Glass Interest Newsletter
- Kristine Rumman has Thesis exhibition – New!
- Habatat Announces 46th Glass International – New!
- Ken Saunders Gallery Hosting Richard Royal
- Call to Artists: The Works Artist in Residence – New!
- Carolyn Swan Needell, PhD, named Barry Curator of Glass
- News from Gathered Glassblowing – New!
- Nadine Saylor teaches Hotter…Faster…Thinner…Better
- Matt Paskiet in Ohio Designer Craftsmen’s Exhibition – New!
- Duncan McClellan Gallery (DMG) School Project
- Schantz Galleries Offers Tour
- GLASS: The UrbanGlass Art Quarterly
- Hudson Gallery Offers Group of Nine Show
- International Flameworking Conference
- Mini-Vitro Gallery Exhibition Glass Axis
- Urban Glass Gala + Auction
- Upcoming in the TMA Glass Pavilion
Kristine Rumman has Thesis Exhibition – New!
- March 28 through 31st
- Congratulations, Kris!
- Temple Contemporary on Tyler School of Art, Philadelphia
Habatat Announces 46th Glass International – New!
- Habatat VIP Weekend April 26-28
- Masterworks Auction April 26, 2018
- Flint Institute of Arts Glass Expansion Dinner April 27, 2018
- Demonstrations by Davide Salvadore, Marc Petrovic and Kari Russell-Pool
Ken Saunders Gallery Hosting Richard Royal
Call to Artists: The Works Artist in Residence – New!
- Ohio Center for History, Art and Technology located in Newark, Ohio
- There are two residencies available; each is 13 weeks
- Stipend of up to $5,000
- Deadline for the Fall 2018 residency April 13, 2018. Deadline for the Spring 2019 residency is June 29, 2018
Carolyn Swan Needell, PhD, named Barry Curator of Glass
- Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk VA
- Beginning April, 2018
- Swan Needell’s central curatorial vision is to engage audiences of all interests and abilities
News from Gathered Glassblowing- New!
- Selected products now will be offered by online retailer UncommonGoods.com in their print catalog as well as online
- 9 ft x 9 ft Donor wall being constructed at Chabad House in Sylvania, Ohio; 22 steel bars with Hebrew words welded to the surface, and dozens of moveable glass name plaques
Nadine Saylor teaches Hotter…Faster…Thinner…Better
- Glass Axis, Columbus Ohio
- June 11-15, 2018
- Learn to make thinner glassware, amphoras, decanters, bottles and more complex shapes. Also learn to use your valuable hot shop time more efficiently
Matt Paskiet in Ohio Designer Craftsmen’s Exhibition – New!
Duncan McClellan Gallery (DMG) School Project
- Two one-month long residencies in May in St Petersburg
- Shared lodging, plus stipend
- Exhibition in June, 2018
- Mentoring on business aspects of success as an artist
Schantz Galleries Offers Tour
- 2018 Glass Collectors Weekend
- June 22, 23, 24
- Featuring Kelly O’Dell, Raven Skyriver, and Paul Stankard
GLASS: The UrbanGlass Art Quarterly
Hudson Gallery Opens Group of Nine Show
- Jim Yarrito included in show
- March 2 – 31, 2018
- Reception March 2, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Sylvania, Ohio
- [email protected]
International Flameworking Conference
- March 16 – 18
- Featured artist Joe Peters
- Also Judith Schaechter, Janis Miltenberger, Lucio Bubacco, Paul Stankard, Lisa Demagall, Mike Souza, and Nikolai Morse
- Salem Community College, New Jersey
Mini-Vitro Gallery Exhibition Glass Axis
- Opening March 9, 2018, 6 – 8 pm
- Open through April 28, 2018
- Charlyn “Charky” Reyonds has two pieces in the show
- All pieces are no bigger than 8” in any direction
- No price to exceed $250
Urban Glass Gala + Auction
Upcoming in the TMA Glass Pavilion
- Jen Blazina of Philadelphia will have a GAPP residency April 14–23, 2018; she will give a free public lecture at 7 p.m. Friday, April 20, in the GlasSalon
Welcome to the 173rd weekly edition of Bill’s glass interest newsletter.
- Next Toledo Art Loop Nov. 16 – Tonight!
- Frost Glass in Mantua, Ohio Hosting Village Fundraiser – Friday and Saturday!
- TMA to Feature its Women Artists – Saturday and Sunday!
- Firenation Holiday Open House Dec. 8 – New Information!
- Upcoming at Habatat Galleries – New Information!
- Albert Leland Named October Accelerator Grant Recipient – New!
- Gathered at The Mart in Chicago, Dec. 7-10 – New!
- Tansey Contemporary Showing Lino Tagliapietra at Art Miami – New!
- Leonard Marty, Studio Eleven Eleven Holiday Open House Dec. 2 – New!
- Schantz Galleries Celebrating Chihuly Basket Series Anniversary – New!
- Daisuke Takatomi, Keiko Iwamatsu Show Work in Columbus
- Peter Bremers Exhibition at Fort Wayne Museum of Art
- Clifford Rainey Needs Our Help
- New Miami Art Fair Includes Leading Glass Galleries
- 2017 Glass Ornament and Goblet Now Available at TMA
- Adam Blaue Gallery at Form Miami
- Mark Matthews Teaching at CMoG in February
- Joanna Manousis Teaching in Bay Area in March
- Job Opportunity
- Dan Dailey Work Presented by Hawk Galleries
- Upcoming in the Glass Pavilion
Next Toledo Art Loop Nov. 16 – Tonight!
- Downtown Toledo’s Art Loop continues from 5:30 to 9 p.m. today, Nov. 16
- This month, the Art Loop theme is “Holiday Loop” http://theartscommission.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/ArtLoopToledo/
- Gathered Glassblowing Studio will continue its Hot Glass Cold Beer Cool Music series with a demo by Lisa F. Pelo (http://www.hotblownglass.com/), and live music by Wolf Creek Risin’
- Pelo earned a BFA while specializing in glass at Bowling Green State University; she was at the Indianapolis Art Center/Marilyn K. Glick School of Art in Indianapolis for 13 years as an instructor and six years as department head
- She is now owner/operator/instructor at Hot Blown Glass, Ltd., in Clayton, Ind., which provides classes, private lessons, studio rentals, workshops, tour and group demonstrations, hands-on projects and open studios
Frost Glass in Mantua, Ohio Hosting Village Fundraiser – Friday and Saturday!
- Carrie and Pat Frost of Frost Glass in Mantua, Ohio, will host their annual open house at the studio from 5 to 9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 17, and noon to 6 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 18
- Annual Arts and Ales is a fundraiser for their Village, to help revitalize the town
- They will have live demos, glass for sale and locally made food and Thirsty Dog Brewing Company will be there with four beers to try
- “We basically turn our yard into a beer garden,” says Carrie
- http://www.frostglass.com/ and http://tinyurl.com/ybh6fnjk
TMA to Feature its Women Artists – Saturday and Sunday!
- In conjunction with the Toledo Museum of Art exhibition “Fired Up: Contemporary Glass by Women Artists,” the Glass Studio is featuring their women glass artists during the course of the exhibition
- The women will provide public demonstrations and talk about their practice and experiences
- Next up will be TMA Glass Studio artist Sten Neuber, who will be the featured from 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 18, and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 19
- TMA Glass Studio artist Loraine Ruetz will follow with demonstrations from 1 to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 20, and noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 21
- Neuber has been working in glass since 2002 when she started at TMA in the high school program; she has studied art and glass at both Kent State and Bowling Green State Universities, receiving a BFA in glass from BGSU
- After graduation, she spent two months in Venice, Italy, taking a glass class with Mattia Salvadore; she currently works at the Museum as a studio technician, high school glass teacher and a public demonstrator http://tinyurl.com/yc39nvg9
- Ruetz also works at TMA and is adjunct instructor in the First Year Program at BGSU
Firenation Holiday Open House Dec. 8 – New Information!
- Firenation Glass Studio and Gallery in Holland, Ohio, will host its annual Holiday Open House on Friday, Dec. 8
- The amazing Sten Neuber will be guest artist so the demo is sure to be fun
- Shopping starts at 6 p.m., with live glassblowing demonstrations starting at 7 p.m.
- Santa Claus has indicated he plans to attend again this year and Neuber will have her yummy guilt-free cupcakes for sale in the gallery starting at $45
Upcoming at Habatat Galleries – New Information!
Albert Leland Named October Accelerator Grant Recipient – New!
- The Arts Commission has named Albert Leland as an October Accelerator Grant recipient to purchase protective eyewear and larger graphite molds for making large borosilicate marbles
- Leland is a Bowling Green State University graduate and works in the Glass Studio at the Toledo Museum of Art
- The Accelerator Grant Program offers financial support with quick turn-around for local individual artists or artist collectives advancing creative projects and thereby advancing their careers
- A committee of members of the visual, performing and literary arts communities meets monthly to review applications and make recommendations for funding to the Arts Commission staff and board; the next deadline is Monday, Nov. 27
- Find more information at http://theartscommission.org/forartists
Gathered at The Mart in Chicago, Dec. 7-10 – New!
- Gathered Glassblowing Studio is proud to be participating in the 17th annual One of a Kind Holiday Show at The Mart (Merchandise Mart, Chicago) Dec. 7-10 http://tinyurl.com/y8r3bmq6
- Gathered will be alongside more than 600 talented makers from across North America, providing the Chicago area a one-of-a-kind shopping experience
- The show is in the heart of downtown and there will be lots of great food and entertainment
- According to a very biased Adam Goldberg, it is “totally worth the trip from Toledo just to check it out!” 7th Floor Booth 3133!
- Planning to be in the Chicago area, and want free tickets to the show? Send Gathered an email at [email protected]
Tansey Contemporary Showing Lino Tagliapietra at Art Miami – New!
- Tansey Contemporary of Santa Fe, N.M., and Denver, Colo., will be showing work by Lino Tagliapietra at Art Miami 2017, Dec. 5 through 10, at the show’s new downtown Miami location on Biscayne Bay http://www.artmiami.com/
- For a preview, visit http://tinyurl.com/y9lwrwom
Leonard Marty, Studio Eleven Eleven Holiday Open House Dec. 2 – New!
- Leonard Marty and Studio Eleven Eleven will host their annual holiday open house from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 2
- The studio is at 1111 Adams St., Toledo www.studioeleven-eleven.com
Schantz Galleries Celebrating Chihuly Basket Series Anniversary – New!
- Schantz Galleries in Stockbridge, Mass., is celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Dale Chihuly’s Baskets series with an exhibition at the gallery through Nov. 30
- A lovely catalog is available online at http://tinyurl.com/y9ok5vug
Daisuke Takatomi, Keiko Iwamatsu Show Work in Columbus
- An exhibition by Japanese glass artists Daisuke Takatomi and Keiko Iwamatsu titled Poetry in Glass is at Glass Axis in Columbus through Nov. 30
- Based out of Towa Lake, Hokkaido, Japan, emerging glass artist Takatomi creates pure glass art known for its distinctive streamlined shape; his unique style gracefully resembles constant water flow or a frozen stream, seizing upon the beauty of nature
- Takatomi is a graduate of the Tokyo Glass Art Institute’s advanced program and is the owner of atelier and gallery gla_gla
- In addition to his art work at traditional museums and galleries, Takatomi has participated in many collaborations including projects with renowned architects Kengo Kuma & Associates, Sapporo Beer, Co., and the movie “Shiawase no pan”
- Iwamatsu is the artist/designer of usapi, a jewelry brand created in collaboration with Takatomi
- Iwamatsu’s design starts with inspiration from Takatomi’s free-form blown glass artwork; each piece of jewelry is a one-of-a-kind work of art
- Iwamatsu started her natural gem stone jewelry line in 2008; since 2013, she has been collaborating with Takatomi under the usapi brand; her work is sold through online stores in Osaka, Tokyo and Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam
- In recent years, her work was featured at Space EDGE (Tokyo) and in 2017, she was invited to showcase usapi at Maison & Objet Paris, a major jewelry expo in Paris, France
Peter Bremers Exhibition at Fort Wayne Museum of Art
- An exhibition of glass sculpture by Peter Bremers continues through Feb. 18 at the Fort Wayne Museum of Art in Indiana https://www.fwmoa.org/
- According to the museum, Peter Bremers: Looking Beyond the Mirror includes two distinct bodies of work in the artist’s abstract style that express his exploration of human existence from the perspective of the individual’s perception of the world as well as an observation of our potential as a human being existing as a creative entity in this lifetime and beyond
Clifford Rainey Needs Our Help
- Glass artist Clifford Rainey lost his home, studio and most of his work in the recent Atlas fire in Napa, Calif. http://tinyurl.com/yapqjpwu
- On Oct. 13, police allowed Rainey to briefly survey the damage for the first time after his Mount George home and studio burned; “Every single piece of artwork I own I’ve had since college was lost,” he told a reporter by telephone
- Several fundraising projects have been launched to help Rainey; here is a link to one started by Corey Hampson of Habatat Galleries: http://tinyurl.com/yae767ha
- Rainey is chair of the Glass Program at the California College of the Arts in Oakland and a sculptor who works principally in glass
- He has glass sculptures in the collections of the de Young Museum in San Francisco; the Los Angeles County Museum of Art; the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; the Irish Museum of Modern Art, Dublin; and other significant institutions
- His public art commissions include the Lime Street Railway Station in Liverpool, England; the Jeddah Monument in Saudi Arabia; and the 911 Communication Center in San Francisco
New Miami Art Fair Includes Leading Glass Galleries
- FORM MIAMI, Miami Art Week’s first and only fair focused on sculpture, objects and applied arts, opens soon and will feature prominent international galleries whose programs showcase innovation in contemporary decorative arts and design, highlighting work in ceramics, fiber, glass, metal, studio jewelry and wood
- FORM MIAMI will have displays by 25 international art galleries including Habatat Galleries, Hawk Galleries, Schantz Galleries and Adam Blaue Gallery
- FORM MIAMI is located in the heart of South Beach at Washington Ave. and 17th St., directly across from Art Basel Miami; it runs Dec. 6 through 10
- FORM MIAMI will welcome VIP tickets holders from Art Basel Miami Beach, Art Miami, Design Miami, NADA, Aqua and Scope
2017 Glass Ornament and Goblet Now Available at TMA
- The Museum Store at the Toledo Museum of Art is now offering two special glass objects
- Inspired by the rich history of the Glass City, this year’s limited-edition goblet celebrates the Toledo Museum of Art as the birth place of the American Studio Glass Movement
- Designed and hand-made by artist Alan Iwamura, each goblet includes one of the type of glass marbles that were originally melted in the 1962 furnace during the landmark workshop conducted by Harvey Littleton and Dominick Labino http://tinyurl.com/yahntfbu
- The 2017 TMA Holiday Ornament is also now available
- The ninth ornament in the series was handcrafted by international award-winning artist Bandhu Dunham and was inspired by Arthur Hughes’ famous painting ‘Ophelia’ which is currently on view in Gallery 32 http://tinyurl.com/yb5g4z4d
Adam Blaue Gallery at FORM MIAMI
- The Adam Blaue Gallery of Cleveland will be at FORM MIAMI, Dec. 6 through 10
- The gallery’s artists work in glass, wood, ceramic, metals and mixed media
Mark Matthews Teaching at CMoG in February
- Mark Matthews, an independent glass artist with a studio inside Sauder Village, will be teaching a class in The Studio at the Corning Museum of Glass, Feb 12 through 17, 2018
- Graphic and Color Systems in Glass concentrates on the development and refinement of color and graphic resolutions in hot worked glass objects
- A minimum of two years of glassblowing experience is necessary for this course
- http://tinyurl.com/y9k9socy, http://tinyurl.com/yazwshyt and http://markmatthewsglass.com/
Joanna Manousis Teaching in Bay Area in March
- Artist and designer Joanna Manousis, a native of Britain who now lives and works in Toledo, will teach a Bullseye class in the Bay Area of California, March 3-8, 2018
- From Scratch, Beginning Kiln Casting and Pâte de Verre will introduce a combination of casting and pâte de verre techniques to translate the surface quality and form of ready-made and hand-sculpted objects into transparent and opalescent glass
- http://tinyurl.com/yc5baf6c and http://www.joannamanousis.com/
Dan Dailey Work Presented by Hawk Galleries
- Hawk Galleries in Columbus, Ohio, will present sculpture by Dan Dailey at a couple of locations in the coming months including FORM MIAMI
- The exhibition, titled New Work, Again, will be at FORM MIAMI, Dec. 6 through 10
- The work will be on display at Hawk Galleries in Columbus, Dec. 17 through Feb. 18
Upcoming in the Glass Pavilion
- Linda Lopez will have a GAPP residency Dec. 18–28; she will give a free public lecture at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 15, in the GlasSalon www.lindalopez.net
- Jen Blazina will have a GAPP residency April 14–23, 2018; she will give a free public lecture at 7 p.m. Friday, April 20, in the GlasSalon www.jenblazina.com